Northeast Advanced Technological Education Center
Principal Investigator (PI)
NEATEC Facilitates Experiential Learning
NEATEC works with high schools and two-year colleges to enhance the students’ skills in nanotechnology, semiconductor processes, and photovoltaics. It also facilitates industry internships.
From September 2014 to August 2015,
- 27 high schools used the NEATEC Learning Modules to instruct 500 students;
- 45 community college students attended NEATEC workshops;
- 130 students participated in co-ops and job shadowing with General Electric;
- 20 students participated in 20-week, clean roomfocused internships with the State University of New York (SUNY) Polytechnic Institute and GLOBALFOUNDRIES; and
- six students participated in 16-week paid internships with the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).
NEATEC Teaches Technicians
NEATEC has developed a strong relationship with semiconductor industries in New York and Western New England. Since 2014, 600 technicians employed by GLOBALFOUNDRIES, a full-service semiconductor manufacturer, have attended NEATEC training programs. These programs covered mechatronics, workmanship skills, pneumatic technology, and radio frequency technology. From January 2014 to December 2015 NEATEC’s two contracts with GLOBALFOUNDRIES resulted in 60 full weeks of technician training.
NEATEC’s Workforce Development Begins in High Schools
NEATEC offers professional development short courses to high school teachers to prepare them to use its learning modules. More than 50 teachers from 25 schools attended these courses in 2014-2015 and received hands-on kits to teach nanotechnology. The teachers learned how to use atomic force microscopes and various electronics in science and technology classrooms.
NEATEC also created an introductory nanotechnology course that is offered by the SUNY Polytechnic Institute’s College in High School program. Students who complete the course earn college credits. To broaden public awareness of nanotechnology and semiconductor career opportunities, NEATEC offers colloquia and participates in job and science fairs.