NOTE: Because the National CTC is an NSF ATE center grant, access to the complete curriculum is limited to educators of North American secondary and post-secondary institutions. To request the complete curriculum, please email Mark Dempsey at email@example.com.
Please put "curriculum request" in the subject line and in the body of the email provide the following information: name, job title, phone number, email, and academic institution.
This module content - which teaches essential 5G concepts and skills - was developed by Gordon Snyder from Holyoke Community College, Bill Saichek from San Jose State University, and Chris Kadlec from Georgia Southern University. In 2021-22, this material was successfully “test driven” in a handful of classes and the response from students has been positive. Students are often familiar with 5G only from what they see on AT&T and Verizon commercials. This module could be a good fit for CCNA 1 or an Internet of Things class.
- 5G Presentation video in mp4 and mov format (video is captioned and runs 54 minutes)
- 5G Presentation slides in PDF format
- "What is 5G" document providing a 20,000-foot look down on the 5G landscape
- 5G Presentation Instructor Guide - additional information for instructors to use the 5G presentation slides and videos
- 5G Lab – Session Establishment
The lab guide that accompanies the hands-on lab activity using the free5GC virtual appliance, which is an open-source implementation of the 5G Core Network and the UERANSIM appliance which is the simulation for both User Equipment and Radio Area Network.
The lab requires VirtualBox which can be downloaded at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads.
A link to download the Free5GC and UERANSIM using GUI virtual machines will be provided.
- 5G Terms_Acronyms, provided by Keysight Technologies, contains a list of the common terms and acronyms for 5G technologies
- 5G Core Establish Session.pcapng - a Wireshark PCAP file that accompanies the 5G Session Establishment lab
- 5G Core PING Test.pcapng - another Wireshark PCAP file that accompanies the 5G Session Establishment lab
- CTC-5G-Lab1 - The lab guide for Working with UDP Encapsulated Capture; the lab uses Wireshark to analyze 5G encapsulated packets
- Mmwave-epc-simple-0-2.pcap - Wireshark PCAP file that accompanies CTC-5G-Lab1.
- CTC-5G-Lab2 - lab guide for Working with Un-Encapsulated Transmission; the lab uses Wireshark to analyze 5G un-encapsulated packets
- WS_LW_wifiShop5G_20211229_1333_30s.pcapng - Wireshark PCAP file that accompanies CTC-5G-Lab2.
Please remember this curriculum is copyrighted material and is intended for public education use only.