IT Project Management
NOTE: Note that the National CTC was funded by an NSF ATE grant. As such, curriculum is intended for use solely by educators of North American secondary and post-secondary institutions. To access the content, visit the CTC's public "Curriculum" legacy drive.
Description: This course provides students with the tools and techniques needed to manage a wide variety of IT systems projects, including software design and development, IT systems design and installation, network management and support, and others. Students develop and practice skills through the use of case studies and real-world software tools.
Pre-requisite: CSCE 2110 Computer Foundations II (or equivalent).
Course Outcomes: By the end of this course, students will be able to…
• Describe the appropriate project management techniques and tools in the development of a management plan for an IT project.
• Describe the unique management requirements of different types of IT Systems projects.
• Describe the energy, budgeting, and personnel requirements for an IT project.
• Demonstrate the use of team and project management tools through a variety of sample management projects.
• Analyze a sample organizational structure using the Unified Modeling Language.
Textbook: None – all resources are online
Week 1 - Introduction
Week 2 - Git
Week 3 - Money, finance, budgeting
Week 4 - Energy
Week 5 - Agile
Week 6 - Basecamp
Week 7 – Microsoft Project / Project Libre
Week 8 - Midterm
Week 9 - People Management
Week 10 - Amazon Web Services
Week 11 - Security
Week 12 - Excel
Week 13 - UML
Week 14 - Break
Week 15 - The Cloud
Week 16 - Final Exam
Please remember this curriculum is copyrighted material and is intended for public education use only.